This past year has been HARD and for me, the main things adding variety and excitement to each day have been the simple everyday things. Taking those things and switching them out so every day hasn’t felt so boring.
A great way to do that is with food deliveries and boxes but this can lead you into an unhealthy food fix trap. Luckily there are also healthy food boxes out there, such as Gousto!
Gousto is a meal delivery box where you can choose different meals each week and the ingredients for those meals plus the recipe will be delivered to you.
By healthy I don’t necessarily mean that all the options you can get in a Gousto box are super duper healthy BUT they are recipes that you cook yourself and that in itself is a valuable thing for us all long term.
That is not to say that a lot of their options aren’t healthy too by the way! They even have a 5 a day food count on each recipe as well as nutritional info so you can see exactly how healthy each thing is.
Before I go any further I want to thank my friend Dan for pushing me to get Gousto. I had heard of them but had no idea if they were any good and he had used them and was thoroughly impressed which in turn gave me the push I needed to give them a go and I’m so happy I did.
If you do order from Gousto please feel free to use this link to get 60% off your first box! We did this with Dan’s code and got 4 meals each (on a box for 2 people) for £17. You will then get 30% off each order for your first month. You can have your boxes weekly or less frequently.
As with any online food service, there are pros and cons. Here are the pros and cons that I have experienced so far.
- Plant-based options and plenty of them!
- They have a cool marketplace you can buy extras from (like a sauce you might have tried in a recipe the week before or a pudding!).
- You have to make the food yourself so you learn how to cook things you may have not known how to do before.
- Each recipe you choose is supplied to you with the ingredients but also to keep so you can repeat it at any time – it’s almost like having cooking lessons.
- They have an app so you can choose your recipes on the go and as soon as you do you get access to the recipes.
- You don’t have to get a box every week. Keep an eye on your account and skip a delivery any time.
- You can get a free recipe binder to keep all your recipes together in the marketplace.
- It’s SUCH good value.
- They’re on Honey too so if you have Honey installed you can get honey gold each time you order.
- Sometimes most of the options are spicy which isn’t much fun if you don’t like spicy food.
- You can’t filter vegan items in the marketplace like you can in the menu.
- There are no puddings in the meals options (I think this would be quite a cool addition).
- I would like the option to get a meal for one so my boyfriend can get a spicy meal without having to have two portions (although you can freeze them once cooked – see their site for more details on that).
Here are some of the meals we’ve had from Gousto so far. These were all vegan and so yummy!
Butternut Squash Dal With Coconut Raita
Smoky Aubergine, Avo & Tomato Sarnie
^(I was surprised how tasty this one was! I’ve already bought some more aubergine to try it again!).
Sweetcorn & Potato Cakes With Avocado
The Henderson’s Relish Meat-Free Burger